Don't Take Anything Personally
ABOUT THIS EPISODE:
Welcome back to the Mindset Chick Podcast, I'm your host Kristi Dear. Today we're going to be talking about how not to take anything personally. That can be difficult at times, especially if you somebody mistreats you. I'm going to be going over the book called The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it. It's four basic agreements to live life to the fullest. Number one is, be impeccable with your word. Number two is, don't take anything personally. Number three, don't make assumptions. Number four is always do your best. I'm going to be going over how not to take anything personally and how that can free you from so many negative emotions, frustrations and anger.
Ready? Let's go...
• Nothing other people do is because of you, it is because of themselves. All people live in their own dream, in their own mind, they are in completely different world from the one we live in. When we take something personally, we make the assumption that they know what is in our world, and we try to impose our world on their world. If someone gives you an opinion and says, Hey, you look so fat, don't take it personally, because the truth is that this person is dealing with his or own feelings, beliefs and opinions. That person tried to send poison to you, and if you take it personally, then you take that poison and it becomes yours. (3:43)
• Everybody has a choice in that situation, you can either take offence to that and get offended, or you can choose to let it go and realize that that was really about her, it wasn't really about me. Maybe she had some bad news this morning, maybe she was having a bad day, maybe she has had people feel like they've stepped in front of her in line and she was trying to be assertive and hold her place. Whatever it was, it's just a story that I'm making up in my head, I don't really know the truth. But whatever that is, realizing that I don't have to take it personally. (7:28)
• People are busy. When you're young and you're a teenager, or even in middle school, you really think everybody's looking at you, everybody's judging you, it's all about you, you you. And then you get older and you realize like, Oh my gosh, nobody's even thinking about me, they're thinking about themselves or thinking about what they look like, they're making sure they don't look silly, they're making sure that they look a certain way or come across a certain way. People are thinking about themselves, they're not really thinking about us, and it's such a free place to be to realize that it's not all about you. And if somebody does something that hurts your feelings, I feel like it only hurts your feelings if you allow it to hurt your feelings. (9:03)
• Just letting go, forgiving yourself for forgiving anybody else involved. Sending love and peace over that situation and energetically cutting the ties. Towards the end of the book, it says, as you make a habit of not taking anything personally, you won't need to place your trust and what others do or say, you will only need to trust yourself to make responsible choices, you are never responsible for the actions of others, you are only responsible for you. When you truly understand this and refuse to take things personally, you can hardly be hurt by the careless comments or actions of others. If you keep this agreement, you can travel around the world with your heart completely open, and no one can hurt you. You can say I love you without fear of being ridiculed or rejected, you can ask for what you need, you can say yes or you can say no, whatever you choose without guilt, or self-judgment, you can choose to follow your heart always. (10:31)
WAYS TO CONNECT WITH ME…
• Kristi Dear Website: https://kristidear.com • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/coachkristidear • Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/themindsetchick • Twitter: https://twitter.com/coachwithkristi • Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kristi.dear • Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/CoachwithKristi/boards ** Download my FREE gift to you my Magic 5 Morning Mindset KristiDear .com
EPISODE AIRED ON: OCTOBER 26, 2021